Yes it’s bizarre. With the nightmarish unfolding of global warming that IS IN THE PROCESS OF DESTROYING OUR LIVING PLANETARY ENVIRONMENTAL SYSTEM we are now apparently hooked into a culture of Russian roulette with carbon emissions. It is safe? Yes it is! No it isn’t! Ohhhh well . . . maybe just a few more hundred thousand metric tonnes of Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere will be OK. Let’s give it a go and find out.
Do you mind if I ask: What is wrong with this picture folks?
The SMH online news today tells the story. Under the banner Power station developers dismiss renewable energy. Ben Cubby’s report sent a chill down my spine. It begins
Two new fossil fuel power plants that will increase the state’s greenhouse gas emissions by between 5 and 15 per cent will move a step closer to construction this week after developers claimed renewable energy cannot feed a growing hunger for electricity.
Well they would say that wouldn’t they. I mean these developers obviously have to pay off their Mercedes Benzes and a few private school education bills – at the same time. How do they do it? It must be hard for them. The world needs more angry little lawyers. Let’s melt a few more ice bergs in the Antarctic and give the kids a head start in life. Yes it’s a beautiful philosophy. Not. Personally I would feel safer if you bought a well boiled icicle – sorry . . . make that a well oiled bicycle, moved into a much easier to manage cottage and used the local school. But to be honest with you I’m not holding my breath waiting for you to see that point of view. Instead I’m writing this blog.
The SMH article goes on to say that these two additional plants would be equivalent to a doubling of the number of cars on NSW roads. Fair Dinkum. And the rest of the story just gets deeper into the murky territory of developer greed and State Government myopia and possibly of governmental corruption. The nicest thing you could say about the State politicians is that they are particularly dumb. Some prefer to entertain the notion that someone is handing over brown bags of cash.
The arguments for and against boils down to this.
1) Both Delta electricity and Macquarie Generation (both State owned) say they will be essential to meet demand and replace old plant.
2) Public submissions suggesting that they invest in solar and/or wind have been rejected because “other states have better renewable resources” (my simple response to this: corporatised bureaucratic-speak BULLSHIT)
3) The environmental assessment reports for both power stations say that “clean coal” technologies will not be available in the medium term (expect a twenty year plus wait on the snail pace agenda from the bunch of cowboys now running the show)
4) The coal stations reckon that the technology for clean coal capture “will eventually emerge”, The reality is that building the coal fired plants would lock in the high emissions for decades
5) Environment groups are presenting a reasonable and rational sort of argument. Which is: “future energy needs can mainly be met with better energy efficiency, wind turbines and solar stations in the outback.”
6) In addition the Greens are arguing that estimations for baseload power have been overestimated
So let’s just read between the lines shall we? OK the State Government owned power companies Delta and Macquarie want to build a few new plants and use un-clean technology (particularly so if it’s coal and not gas). They don’t want the state to invest in Solar and Wind and build better efficiency. Why? Because they are all staffed by old paradigm types who know how to build . . .fossil fuel powered plants. This addictive behaviour on the part of these old school engineers is being enabled by short sighted politicians, only too happy to go along. It seems as if the Sate government is happy to accept overestimates of baseload power requirements. Why? “To justify their expansion plans.” Same shit different day.
Let’s allow Greens MP John Kaye to have the last word . . .
“Massive wind development in the state’s west and possibilities for solar thermal generation in the central west put paid to the Keneally government’s myths that NSW lacks renewable resources.”
Nuff said. So please picture yourself doing the following . . .Go over to your window. Stick your head out and shout at the top of your lungs. I’M AS MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE.